News Flash

Latest News

Posted on: October 1, 2020

New Eastern Hills Drive Opening Now Open!

Eastern Hills

A ribbon-cutting ceremony on October 1st celebrated the opening of the new Eastern Hills Drive and the completion of a project that began nearly 20 years ago.

The Eastern Hills Drive and Connecting Roadways Program includes six segments that collectively improve the transportation network in eastern Council Bluffs by completing Eastern Hills Drive between US Highway 6 and Iowa Highway 92, while providing improved connections to developments along Greenview Road, Steven Road, and Cottonwood Road.  

The new Eastern Hills Drive (Segment D) project included grading and new roadway construction on a new alignment from Highway 92 to State Orchard Road, and on the existing State Orchard Road alignment from Greenview Road to the Intersection of Eastern Hills Drive and State Orchard Road.  A roundabout was constructed at the intersection of Greenview and State Orchard and new traffic signals were installed at Highway 92.  A 10-foot wide concrete trail was constructed on the north side of the new roadway.  The project also required the construction of two large concrete box culverts within Little Pony Creek.

“The completion of new Eastern Hills Drive provides local transportation system continuity,” said Matt Cox, City of Council Bluffs Public Works Director. “It also increases the capacity of existing roads to accommodate future traffic demands and improves emergency access and safety.”

This infographic shows how to travel through the new roundabout. Roundabouts are proven to be safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections. Roundabouts reduce the number of crashes, have fewer sever crashes, offer lower maintenance costs compared to traffic signals, and the increased capacity decreases delays, and reduces pollution.

The cost of the new Eastern Hills Drive (Segment D) was $8.8 million. The total cost of all six segments of Eastern Hills Drive and Connecting Roadways Program is approximately $25 million. Several trips to Washington DC in the early 2000s led to the award of a $3.5M appropriation and $10.2M in earmarks. Surface Transportation Program funds allocated to the region were also utilized, allowing 80% of the program costs to be paid with federal funding. The City of Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County share the remaining 20%.

“The completion of this long-term project is a great example of a successful City/ County partnership,” said Mayor Matt Walsh. “Thanks to everyone at the City, County, and our consultants for their commitment to the betterment of our community.”

The consultant team consists of HGM, Snyder & Associates, Schemmer, HDR, and Terracon. Hawkins Construction served as the contractor.

Segment F of the Eastern Hills Drive and Connecting Roadways Program is planned for 2022.Eastern Hills Drive Roundabout for Website

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Latest News

CB Rec Complex

Recreation Complex Receives Award

Posted on: April 8, 2021
Tennis Camp Registration

Tennis Camp Registration Open

Posted on: April 6, 2021
Yard Waste

It's Yard Waste Season!

Posted on: April 6, 2021
Recycling Bin

New Solid Waste Guide

Posted on: April 2, 2021
Eastern Hills Drive Future Park Site

Eastern Hills Trail Stop Park

Posted on: March 12, 2021
ATV Photo

New ATV Ordinance Information

Posted on: March 11, 2021
View at River's Edge

Loessfest 2021 Canceled

Posted on: March 9, 2021
River's Edge Observation Tower Conceptual Rendering

River's Edge Phase Four

Posted on: March 5, 2021
Recycling Containers

New Solid Waste Rate

Posted on: March 3, 2021
Time Clock Council Bluffs

Seasonal Employment Opportunities

Posted on: February 23, 2021
News Carousel 2

Stay Connected!

Posted on: February 22, 2021
On First Podcast Art

"On First" Podcast Announcement

Posted on: October 20, 2020