Council Bluffs Public Works wants to remind you to only flush toilet paper. The trash rack at the sanitary pumping stations throughout the city pull out all of the trash before pushing liquid through to be treated. This photo was taken at a local trash rack today, March 25.
With an influx of people using disinfectant wipes for sanitizing, combined with a perceived shortage of toilet paper, people are flushing more non-flushable items than normal.
Nonflushable items will clog the sewer line. Unclogging pipes is costly and time-consuming. If it’s not toilet paper, put it in the garbage.
Toilet paper breaks down in water, other items, including flushable wipes and ramen noodle packaging, do not. Even if the package states “flushable,” the item can still clog the sewer line.
Do not flush:
• Wipes of any kind (baby, disinfectant, facial, even those labeled flushable)
• Anything other than human waste and toilet paper
• Cigarettes/ cigarette butts
• Cotton swabs/ cotton balls
• Facial tissue
• Feminine hygiene products (tampons, etc.)
• Paper towels
• Sanitary napkins
• Shop towels
• Tampons and tampon applicators
• Towels/ rags
• Wrappers (any packaging)