- Police Department
- Uniform Division
- Traffic Unit / Special Operations
- Stop on Red / Red Light Cameras
Stop on Red
Stop on Red - Automated Traffic Enforcement (ATE)
The City of Council Bluffs utilizes automated camera technology for the detection of red light violations. This technology allows the Police Department to monitor more intersections with fewer officers, helping to make our streets safer.
Each location of ATE cameras is clearly marked with signage in advance of the intersection. A still photograph and video are taken of the vehicle entering the intersection against a red light. After verification and approval by a police officer, a citation is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. This citation is considered a municipal infraction and is not reported to the State of Iowa or any other Department of Transportation and does not become a part of the vehicle owner’s driving record.
You can review the video at www.violationinfo.com. In order to review the video, you will need to enter the Notice # and PIN listed on the front of the citation.
If you have questions about the "Stop on Red" program call at (712) 328-4948.
- The fine for a violation issued to the registered owner of a vehicle caught on camera running a red light is $100.
- Appeals are handled through the Council Bluffs Legal. If you choose to appeal your violation, send in the "appeal request form" on the citation. Someone from Legal will contact you with an appeal date. Should you have any questions regarding your appeal, contact Legal at (712) 328-4620.
- Payments can be accepted in person at the City Treasurer's office at 209 Pearl Street in Council Bluffs. Payments are no longer accepted at the Council Bluffs Police Department.
The address to send your payment for a red light ticket is:
City of Council Bluffs
Automated Traffic Enforcement Program
P.O. Box 35131
Seattle, WA 98124-5131
*Be sure to include your NOTICE # with your payment.
- A citation issued by an officer (non ATE) for a red light violation carries a fine of $195, is reported to the state, and becomes a part of the driver's record.
|The address to send traffic citations to is:|
|Pottawattamie County Clerk of Court|
227 S. 6th Street
Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503
Pay Traffic Tickets Online
Currently our red light detection cameras are located at the following intersections:
- West Broadway / 35th Street – east and westbound
- West Broadway / 25th Street - east and westbound
- West Broadway / 21st Street – east and westbound
- West Broadway / 16th Street - east and westbound
- West Broadway / 8th Street - east and westbound
- Kanesville Blvd / Harrison Street - east and westbound
- South 7th St / Willow Avenue - southbound
- South Expressway / 30th Avenue – north and southbound