Parks and Recreation Department
Council Bluffs Parks and Recreation oversees the care and management of approximately 750 acres of parks and open space, including 29 parks, two aquatic centers, River’s Edge Pavilion, and the Council Bluffs Recreation Complex (CBRC). Parks and Recreation also plans several annual recreation activities, sports, and special events. The Horticulture and Grounds Division takes care of City streetscapes, landscapes, and assists with right-of-way tree maintenance.
News and Information
- The new mini-pitch at Roberts Park is complete!
- TRAIL CLOSURE: The trail South 24th St on Veterans Memorial Trail going west to Twin City is under construction until further notice.
- TRAIL CLOSURE: The trail from the Bob Kerry Bridge to North 25th St will be closed from 9/1/21 to 3/30/22 for a United States Army Corps of Engineers levee flood restoration project.
- TRAIL CLOSURE: The Mosquito Creek Trail from Navajo St. to East South Omaha Bridge Rd will be closed from 9/7/21 to 12/31/21 for a United States Army Corps of Engineers levee restoration project.
- The 2021 Parks and Recreation Event Series is posted!
- TRAIL CLOSURE: 35th Street to Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park will be closed as a result of the Council Bluffs Interstate System Improvement Project.
- TRAIL CLOSURE: A portion of Lewis Central Trail from Iowa West Foundation Trail Head, located at the intersection of South Omaha Road and Harry Langdon Blvd, will be closed until further notice. Ongoing construction activities of the Lewis Central School and a delay in the construction of a new trail link in this area have caused an unforeseen extension to the trail closure.
- Eastern Hills Trail Stop Park is coming soon to the northeast corner of the roundabout along Eastern Hills Drive. Amenities include a shelter, picnic tables, bicycle parking, benches, and a play structure. Construction is slated for summer.
- Thanks to a generous donation from PowerTech, Cochran Park is getting a makeover! Expect to see new playground equipment this fall!