Parks and Recreation Department
Council Bluffs Parks and Recreation oversees the care and management of approximately 750 acres of parks and open space, including 29 parks, two aquatic centers, River’s Edge Pavilion, and the Council Bluffs Recreation Complex (CBRC). Parks and Recreation also plans several annual recreation activities, sports, and special events. The Horticulture and Grounds Division takes care of City streetscapes, landscapes, and assists with right-of-way tree maintenance.
News and Information
- Registration is open for the Youth Fishing Derby at Big Lake Park.
- The 2021 Parks and Recreation Event Series is posted!
- Adult Softball registration is now open!
- The Valley View Habitat Corridor is now complete! The habitat corridor includes restored tallgrass prairie and woodland habitat, which have been planted with a diverse mix of native species suitable for a wide range of pollinators. Find more here!
- TRAIL CLOSURE: 35th Street to Tom Hanafan River's Edge Park will be closed as a result of the Council Bluffs Interstate System Improvement Project.
- TRAIL CLOSURE: A portion of Lewis Central Trail from Iowa West Foundation Trail Head, located at the intersection of South Omaha Road and Harry Langdon Blvd, will be closed until further notice. Ongoing construction activities of the Lewis Central School and a delay in the construction of a new trail link in this area have caused an unforeseen extension to the trail closure.
- Eastern Hills Trail Stop Park is coming soon to the northeast corner of the roundabout along Eastern Hills Drive. Amenities include a shelter, picnic tables, bicycle parking, benches, and a play structure. Construction is slated for summer.
- Thanks to a generous donation from PowerTech, Cochran Park is getting a makeover! Expect to see new playground equipment this fall!