The City of Council Bluffs Community Development Department administers the Brownfields Program with funding from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Brownfields Program Press Release June 10, 2021
Brownfields Program Press Release January 19, 2022
What is a brownfield?
A brownfield is a real property that the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.
- A History of Reliance Battery Factory (813 22nd Avenue)
2020-2023 Community-Wide Brownfields Assessment Grant Program
In 2020, the City was awarded a $300,000 Community-Wide Brownfield Assessment Grant that will identify potential hazards, prepare for remediation, and create new redevelopment opportunities within the City’s Qualified Opportunity Zones including the South Expressway Corridor.
The program is funded through an EPA Community-Wide Brownfields Assessment Grant and will allow the City to inventory, characterize, assess, and conduct cleanup and reuse planning activities on brownfield sites.
Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments can be conducted on eligible properties within the general vicinity of the South Expressway Corridor. These environmental site assessments will be the catalyst for reclaiming these underutilized sites for the benefit of the community.
The City of Council Bluffs has selected Impact7G to serve as the qualified environmental professional for the Brownfields Program. If you have a property that you think would be a good fit for the Brownfields Program or would like additional information please contact Dessie Redmond, Housing & Economic Development Planner at email@example.com or by phone at 712-890-5352.
FY22 Brownfields Cleanup Grant Application
Public Community Meetings:
- Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 10 am Stakeholder Meeting at the Library
- Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - 6 pm at the Peterson Park Picnic Shelter
- Thursday, July 29, 2021 - 5:30 pm at Longfellow Elementary School, 2011 S 10th St (Flyer for more information)
- Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 10 am Virtual Workshop
- Thursday, June 9, 2022 - Workshop from 9 am to 3:30 pm at the Library, Meeting Room B
- Program Activities
- Additional Community Events