COVID-19 Grants (CDBG-CV)
The City of Council Bluffs has received Community Development Block Grant COVID-19 (CDBG-CV) assistance to provide assistance to local residents and businesses to ensure sustainability during the COVID-19 pandemic. Direct assistance is available to residents and businesses who have lost income directly related to COVID-19.
Direct Financial Assistance
CDBG-CV provides funding to pay an eligible resident’s mortgage, rent, utilities (water, electrical, and natural gas only), and childcare.
Through CDBG-CV, residents can receive assistance for a maximum of three months, or no more than $5,000. Assistance will be evaluated based on need and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Residents must meet the income qualifications, utilizing HUD standards, as listed below.
To be eligible, a person must:
- Live in the Council Bluffs city limits
- Be a lawful permanent resident
- Meet the income qualifications (below)
- Show a change in income (loss of job or reduction in hours) due to COVID-19
- Submit a CDBG-CV Application for Individual Assistance
To apply for CDBG-CV individual assistance, contact City of Council Bluffs Community Development at 712-890-5350.
Centro Latino of Iowa offers a similar program called the Solidarity Relief Fund and information is available on the Centro Latino of Iowa’s website.
To be eligible for CDBG-CV funding, applicants must have an adjusted gross income not to exceed 80% Median Family Income (MFI) as established by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as listed below:
- 1 Person $48,750
- 2 Person $55,700
- 3 Person $62,650
- 4 Person $69,600
- 5 Person $75,200
- 6 Person $80,750
- 7 Person $86,350
- 8 Person $91,900
CDBG-CV provides assistance to avoid job loss caused by business closures related to COVID-19 by providing short-term assistance to small businesses. Eligible businesses can receive funding to pay the mortgage, rent, utilities, inventory, monthly debt, and staff salaries or wages with a minimum assistance of $2,000 and a maximum of $10,000.
To be eligible, a small business must:
- Operate their business within the Council Bluffs city limits
- Employ legal residents of the United States
- Be in operation, even if working remotely due to COVID-19
- Be owned by a low-to-moderate income person (80% MFI) or employ low-to-moderate income persons (see income guidelines above)
- Complete the Business Assistance Application and submit all required documents