Report a Nuisance 

Nuisance Hotline

Do you need to register a complaint about a general nuisance in Council Bluffs? Please call (712) 890-5360 and leave a message.

You may leave an anonymous message with a short description of the problem and the street address of the property that is out of compliance. If the property is vacant without an address, leave the parcel number or a nearby address and where the issue is about the address given. Incomplete addresses will result in a delayed response from our department. 

Community Development investigates reports of the following:

  • Noxious weeds 
  • Grass that is taller than 18” 
  • Trash or junk which has been stored on private property for more than three days
  • Vehicles parked in a yard (without a parking pad)
  • Noise control

Complaints are scheduled in the order received, and City staff will not investigate the same property more than once a week. Please allow time for the problem to be remedied after leaving your message. If violations are found, property owners are given a Notice of Violation with a time frame to abate them. Timeframes depend on a variety of factors. The Code Compliance Officer will follow the case through to ensure the violations are abated.

The Code Compliance Officers work with property owners/tenants to abate violations, coordinate with the Police Department to tow vehicles, and issue municipal citations for properties that are a health or safety hazard. They also work with Police Area Representatives (PAR Unit) and the rental housing/building inspectors to improve neighborhood conditions and improve properties that have multiple city code violations.

Community Development provides inspection and disease prevention services to control the factors responsible for spreading disease through water and other environmental exposures.

We strive to enhance the quality of life in our community through education, routine inspections and investigations, enforcement action when warranted, and interaction with state, federal, and local agencies when appropriate.

The municipal codes that we enforce can be found by clicking the following links:

Monitoring & Testing Noise Control

Community Development occasionally investigates complaints of noise from residential or industrial sources. The noise sources are studied to determine if the noise exceeds local municipal code limits. If a violation is identified, action is taken to reduce the noise to acceptable levels or eliminate the noise nuisance.

The municipal code can be found by clicking the following link:

Records Request

Requests for information from the City of Council Bluffs should be made in writing using the form below. Please note that court orders may be required to obtain certain information. Complete and submit the following form to the City of Council Bluffs Legal Department. The appropriate department head will review your request, and once the City Attorney gives final approval, the documents will be made available to you.