How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Prescribed Burns/Burning Permit
Citizens of Council Bluffs must have a permit before enjoying recreational bon fires, and it is the job of the Public Health Department to enforce this.

To minimize the risk associated with all open burnings, the proposed site of the fire must meet certain qualifications.
  • The fire ring must be free of dry grass and weeds.
  • There must be a water source available to the site
  • Only clean, dry firewood may be used for burning materials.

Once the proposed site for the fire has met these requirements and passes the inspection, the permit is issued by the public health official. The associated fee is $15.

With the development of the Prescribed Burn Ordinance, areas seeded with native prairie grasses can now legally burn off the old thatch and weeds. Annual burning promotes healthy, new native grass growth and helps to control weed development. There is an application fee of $200 and an application that must be completed and signed off by a certified burn boss.