Monitoring & Testing

To help maintain the safety of Council Bluffs residents, Public Health conducts monitoring and testing in the following areas:

Air Pollution

Public Health does all air monitoring within the city of Council Bluffs to determine if the air quality meets standards established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and state of Iowa air quality standards. Air samples are taken every three days at three air monitors within the city. The samples are checked for general air quality, lead, and pollution associated with vehicles, industry and agricultural activities.

Noise Control

Public Health occasionally investigates noise complaints from residential or industrial sources. Studies of the noise sources are performed to determine if the noise is in excess of local municipal code limits. If a violation is identified, action is taken to reduce the noise to acceptable levels or eliminate the noise nuisance. 

Pollen Counts

In conjunction with the State Hygienic Laboratory in Iowa City, Iowa, Public Health scientifically counts the pollen in the air daily and reports the results to local media and to the State Hygienic Laboratory. The State Hygienic Laboratory collects data from cities around Iowa and reports those results to the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia. When there is a high pollen count, the public is notified by the CDC. Locally, the news media report daily to the citizens so they can make their own decisions concerning their own comfort.


Using funds from a grant from the Iowa Asthma, Indoor Air, Radon Coalition, Public Health advertises in local media to encourage citizens to test their homes for the presence of Radon in quantities large enough to affect their health. Public Health also makes available to the public for a minimal charge, test kits with which to test for radon presence. Health Department staff is available to counsel people about the presence and health effects of Radon.Visit the Iowa Department of Public Health website to learn more about Radon. 

Water Quality (private wells)

Public Health provides residential water well testing kits to residents who own or utilize a private water supply. A sample, usually taken from your kitchen sink, is sent to the State Hygienic Laboratory. The lab can test for Coliform Bacteria, E. Coli and Nitrate. The price of the testing depends on what tests you would like conducted.